- Store Events
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Browse our Shelves
- Kids & Young Adults
- New and Noteworthy
- 25th Anniversary!
- My Account
R.J. Julia Birthday Parties!
Happy Birthday! R.J. Julia Booksellers is happy to host your child’s special day here at the store! We have everything set for your child to enjoy a literary-based birthday party of their choosing with up to 10 of their friends. Parties run for approximately 1.5-2 hours in length. Everything is included – just enjoy and let us do the work!
The first hour of the party will include an official R.J. Julia welcome and a 15-minute story time, followed by a 30-minute craft activity. The second hour is reserved for our treats (RJ Café’s yummy cupcakes from La Rosticceria and one drink per child), time for presents and/or a parent-provided game! The party wraps up with each child choosing their own book as a parting gift. The birthday boy or girl will also receive an addition cupcake to take home, plus a $5 R.J. Julia gift card.
We even have a Read to Grow option that encourages charitable giving!*
If you are interested in hosting a birthday party here at the store, please fill out the request form and submit to R.J. Julia, to the attention of our Events Manager. You will be contacted within 5 business days. There is no obligation until after a date has been discussed and officially confirmed by both parties.
Please note that on-site staff and booksellers will not be able to answer detailed questions pertaining to our birthday party program. Completion of the request form begins the discussion between you and our specialist.
$150 (includes birthday child), plus $15 per child – for example, the total cost for a party with 2 friends would be $180, for 10 friends would be $300.
Birthday parties may be reserved up to 3 months in advance. A $75 deposit is due to make a reservation. An R.J. Julia staff member will contact you after you have submitted a reservation request form.
Design Your Own Party – Choose Your Theme & Craft Activity!
Theme: Dr. Seuss, Princesses/Fairy Tales, Fancy Nancy, Bugs & Critters, Star Wars, Super Heroes, Animals, Mo Willems, Pirates, Pinkalicious
Craft: Design your own book tote bag, or book. We will also have fun coloring sheets to tie into your theme!
If you have a special book that you would like for us to incorporate into your child’s theme, we will try to add it to the story time. Don’t forget to add even more fun by encouraging children to dress up in the theme of the story book! During the planning process, please share any specifics you might have – if we can do something special, we will!
Birthday Parties Include:
- 30-minute planning session with R.J. Julia staff member 15-30 days prior to the party date
- Up to 2 hours of party time in the Kids’ Room (1st hour with staff accompaniment)
- A 15- to 20-minute story time by an R.J. Julia staff member
- A 30-minute craft activity led by an R.J. Julia staff member
- One XL cupcake (choice of one flavor) and one ice cream cup for each child
- One extra cupcake for the birthday boy or girl to take home
- One drink per child (organic white milk box)
- One age-specific candle for birthday cupcake (ages 1-8)
- Colorful paper products (blue, pink or yellow), paper coloring table cover, a Happy Birthday banner & one bunch of balloons as a centerpiece.
- One take-away book gift per child (Step 1-4 paperback)
- One $5 R.J. Julia gift card for the birthday boy or girl
- Bookclub Members will each receive $2 in R.J. Julia dollars in addition to their book
An individual separate treat may be provided for a child with medical needs. Please inform staff in advance.
A large selection of paperback books for older children is also available.
If interested, please fill out the reservation request form below. Once a date has been confirmed, a deposit of $75 is due to hold the space. We have limited dates available, and they will be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. You are welcome to leave a deposit check with your reservation request form to expedite the process.
Your deposit will be applied to the final payment if the Kids’ Room is returned on-time and in good condition.
Infants or young toddlers under age 2 that are NOT participating in the activities (story/art/treats) may attend at no charge.
- Additional cupcakes for adults, etc. may be ordered at cost ($4.50 each, plus tax)
- Interested in hosting a Read to Grow party? If the birthday boy or girl would like to collect books for the non-profit Read to Grow in lieu of presents, the following will be included:
- A personalized thank you note will be sent to the birthday child in the mail from Read to Grow
- R.J. Julia staff will thank the child during the party, and take a photograph of your child with an “I donated to Read to Grow for my birthday!” sign
- Birthday child will be thanked with photo on our Facebook page for supporting children’s literacy
- Birthday child may choose a hardcover book of their choice