Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
A great biography of Walt Disney for the 6 to 8 year old who want to know more about the man who created Disney. From his boyhood to the creation of individual characters, you’ll get to know the man behind the films!
Walt Disney's name is synonymous with family entertainment. Mickey Mouse, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
, Disneyland, and numerous other creations have inspired generations of children the world over.
From his childhood in rural Missouri to his legendary stature as a film and television icon, Walt governed his life with imagination, ingenuity, and scrupulous attention to detail. Faced with both public failures and massive success, he revolutionized the art form of animation, always seeking innovative solutions, cutting edge technology, and new ways of storytelling. Devoted to perfection, Walt was not always easy to work with, but no one can deny his profound talent and impact.
Charting Walt's progression from farm boy to actor to artist, animator, director, and entertainment celebrity, Walt's own words are presented and contextualized within Doreen Rappaport's signature compelling prose. Illustrated with vivid authenticity by animator/painter John Pomeroy, this stunning entry in the award-winning Big Words series reveals a man of deep and varied passions with a constantly evolving vision, and a storyteller above all.
About the Author
Doreen Rappaport's nonfiction and historical fiction books have been acclaimed for their meticulous research and varied literary styles. She is the recipient of the Washington Post-Children's Book Guild lifetime achievement award for the writing of nonfiction. Among her many award-winning biographies are Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., illustrated by Bryan Collier, a Caldecott Honor Book, Coretta Scott King Honor Book, Orbis Pictus Honor Book, and a Jane Addams Children's Book Award winner; and Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln, illustrated by Kadir Nelson, the Library of Virginia Whitney and Scott Cardoza Award winner, a CCBC Best Book of the Year and an IRA Teachers' Choice. Doreen lives in upstate New York. Visit her at www.doreenrappaport.com.
John Pomeroy is an animator, storyboard artist, and animation producer who began his forty-four-year career at Walt Disney Studios in 1973. He has worked on The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Rescuers, Pete's Dragon, The Secret of NIMH, An American Tail, The Land Before Time, Pocahontas, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Curious George, Planes, and most recently Disney Junior's Sofia the First. He is also a painter of portraits and military history. He lives with his wife, Cami, and their family in Brentwood, Tennessee. Visit John online at www.johnpomeroy.com.
"This celebration of Walt's ingenuity and imagination covers the scope of his many visions while also making it to clear to young readers that he had to work hard and take risks to make his dreams come true."—Booklist (starred review)PRAISE FOR FREDERICK'S JOURNEY
* "Rappaport has fashioned an accessible, even riveting biography of the great 19th-century American."—Kirkus Reviews, starred reviewPRAISE FOR TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS
School Library Journal Best Book of 2013PRAISE FOR TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS
Bank Street Best Children's Book of 2014
2014 The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books Blue Ribbon
2013 New York Public Library's "One Hundred Titles for Reading and Sharing"
2014 Green Earth Book Award Shortlist
* "Concisely written and yet poetic, this is a first purchase for every library."
—School Library Journal, starred reviewPRAISE FOR TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS
* "[T]his lavish picture-book biography deftly captures the legendary man's bold, exuberant nature. . . . A truly inspiring tribute to a seemingly larger-than-life U.S. president."
—Kirkus Reviews, starred reviewPRAISE FOR TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS
* "Theodore Roosevelt's big ideas and big personality come together in this splendid picture-book biography."
—Booklist, starred reviewPRAISE FOR HELEN'S BIG WORLD
* "Stirring and awe-inspiring."
—The Horn Book, starred reviewPRAISE FOR HELEN'S BIG WORLD
* "While there are many books available about Helen Keller for this age group, this title offers a unique and beautiful perspective on her life."
—School Library Journal, starred reviewPRAISE FOR JACK'S PATH OF COURAGE
"[An] inspiring portrait."
—Kirkus ReviewsPRAISE FOR ELEANOR, QUIET NO MORE
* "Once again Rappaport celebrates a noble, heroic life in powerful, succinct prose, with prominent, well-chosen, and judiciously placed quotes that both instruct and inspire."
—School Library Journal, starred reviewPRAISE FOR ELEANOR, QUIET NO MORE
* "Even familiar political figures can get bold new treatments, as this dramatic picture-book biography shows...an exciting introduction to a well-loved leader."
—Booklist, starred reviewPRAISE FOR ABE'S HONEST WORDS
* "Exceptional art, along with Rappaport's and Lincoln's words, makes this a fine celebration of a man who needs little introduction."
—Booklist, starred reviewPRAISE FOR JOHN'S SECRET DREAMS
"This beautiful and stirring tribute will surely send readers to bookshelves and the music stores to learn more about the man."
—School Library JournalPRAISE FOR MARTIN'S BIG WORDS
2002 Caldecott Honor Book
2002 Coretta Scott King Honor Book
Child Magazine Best Book of 2001
New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Children's Book of 2001PRAISE FOR MARTIN'S BIG WORDS
* "A stunning, reverent tribute."
—School Library Journal, starred review